Our industrial-grade liner is tough, but mistakes happen. Sometimes chips, gouges or rust can appear when moving the Modpool, or through usual wear and tear.
Repairing the liner yourself is often the quickest and cheapest approach. The following steps will provide a water-proof seal with paint.
Please note: the epoxy steps can be applied underwater, but to paint over them, you will need to drain the Modpool
- Scotch-Brite Red Scratch Pad
- Matching Urethane Spray Paint
(request from "email@example.com")
- Marine Epoxy from any reliable brand
- 4 Rags
- Paint Mixing Stick
- Paintbrush or small paint rollers
- 80 Grit Sandpaper (not always necessary)
Stage 1: Preparing the Area
- Use a wet rag to clean the area of the repair spot. Dry it with another rag (unless underwater of course)
- The size of the repair patch is exaggerated in this tutorial. Rust spots may appear large, but are usually seeping from a pinhole in the liner. Use a red scratch pad to remove the surrounding rust and isolate the pinhole.
*red scratch pad does not damage the surrounding liner*
Only use the sandpaper if absolutely necessary.
- Use the wet rag to wipe away any dust. If the spot is not underwater, dry it with the other rag
Stage 2: Apply Epoxy
- Epoxy can be a skin and eye irritant. Wear gloves and eye protection
- On a piece of cardboard, pour and mix the marine epoxy with the mix stick
- Apply the marine epoxy to the liner with the mixing stick
- Flatten the epoxy with your finger (glove on). Make sure the edges of the hole have been overlapped by the epoxy
- Let it cure for 4 days (can cure underwater)
Stage 3: Painting (cannot be underwater)
- Modpool must be drained for the following steps
- After the epoxy has cured for 4 days, sand it down to ensure the surface is smooth
- Use a wet rag to clean away the sanding dust. Use another rag to dry the area you will paint
In one container, combine 7 parts paint with 1 part curing agent. In a separate container, combine 2 parts Rhino Seal A to 1 part Rhino Seal B. Once mixed well, combine the two separate mixtures to create one paint supply.
- Using your paintbrush or a small paint roller, paint the liner over the epoxy. It will take 3 coats; wait 1 hour between coats.
- After the 3rd coat, let the paint dry for 4 - 5 days before refilling with water.
- Now you have a waterproof repair seal! With water in the Modpool, you won't even notice the patch.